- Special prize (based on round II, section A) – Prize “for the best performance of a work by a Russian composer” was received by Alexander Tatarinov (Russia)
- Special prize (in the competition) for “The best ensemble” was received by Pavel Romanenko (Kazakhstan), Evgeny Rumiantsev (Russia), Andrey Skripki (Russia)
- Special Prize “Best Illustrator (Concertmaster)” was received by Ksenia Bashmet
- A special prize named after Oleg Kagan “For the best performance of Mozart Symphony concert” was received by Chamber orchestra «Moscow soloists»
“For high professionalism” from Yuri Bashmet (President and founder of the competiton) was received by Natalia Nikitenko, Elena Nikitenko, Denis Vlasenko
Special prize “For the best performance of the compulsory work on the First round of the competition” was received by Karolina Errera (Russia-Germany)
Special prize from the “Bashmet Center” – «Carte Blance concerto» was received by Alexander Tatarinov (Russia)
VIII Yuri Bashmet International Viola Competition «Viola Masters» is held in order to develop the best traditions of national musical culture and performing arts, support and promote young talented violists from around the world, influence their further creative career, as well as the expansion of viola repertoire and disclosure of the rich features of viola as a solo and ensemble instrument.
The founders of the Competition are: Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation, Tchaikovsky Moscow State Conservatory, Moscow Academic Philharmonic Society, Russian Concert Agency.
The partners of the Competition are:
The competition is held in Moscow from January 25 to February 2, 2018.
Organizing Committee of the Competition is formed by the founders. The Organizing Committee approves plan for preparing and holding the Competition, estimates budget, monitor the implementation of the rules, approves the jury and the symbolism of the contest (logo, booklet layouts and diplomas).
Organizational, financial, logistics, staffing, informational and other types of maintenance of the Competition, as well as interaction with the founders, sponsors and the mass media are carried out by «Russian Concert Agency».
Jury is formed by prominent Russian and foreign musicians in the field of chamber music and viola performance, as well as of leading figures of art and culture.
Artistic director of the competition, the chairman of Organizing Committee and chairman of the jury is People’s Artist of the USSR, Professor of Moscow Conservatory, Maestro Yuri Bashmet.
THE COMPETITION IS HELD WITH THE PURPOSE OF
- searching and supporting young talented viola players to grow as a professional,
- popularizing of academy music,
- developing music education,
- establishing artistic contacts between performers, composers and educators,
- creating supportive environment for collaboration of performers and audience